Sunday, August 2, 2020

Starting My 4mm Journey

For many years I have considered modeling an Australian prototype.

My recent endeavors have been focused on North American Logging operations in HO standard gauge. With the recent rise in exchange rates I have come to realize my dream of 3 truck precision scale shays traversing steep grades is quickly disappearing.

Recently Simon Handby launched a range of kits, bits and bobs aimed at the Tasmanian modelers made up of all the masters he has build over the years for personal use. https://tassiemodelrailways.com/   The offerings had me interested but still unsure of modeling 4mm scale. Then came the offer of a free kit to have a go to see if I was inspired.

I jumped at the chance and Simon sent me over a TGR Steel C Open Wagon. A prototype of which I had very little knowledge. The small 4 wheel wagon arrived and I instantly remembered why I always wanted to model the Australian steam era and its 4 wheel wagons.

The arrival of this 4 wheel wagon has generated countless hours of researching Tasmanian prototype. The discovery that many track plans maps and structure plans are still available online is the one thing I have lacked in my search for a US Branchline prototype.

This blog will follow my journey of discovery, research,  and eventual building of a layout to capture the feel of the TGR in OOn14mm.


No comments:

Post a Comment