Thursday, November 12, 2020

TGR Steel C Class Open Wagon Part 1


I mentioned in my first blog post, My journey into TGR modeling started with a generous offer from Simon Handby https://tassiemodelrailways.com.au to have a go at building a steel C class open wagon. Simon has been offering an eclectic mix of parts to Tasmanian modelers for some time now.


The kit arrived with a casting of the main body, steel side frames, etched chassis and some brake rigging. The goal with the offering was to test the side frame etches and generate some interest. I later received Buffers, vacuum hoses and the end beam castings to enable me to finish the model.

First task is to build the Chassis side frames. They are fold up nickle silver with inserted brass top hat bearings. A relatively easy process if you take your time, use some jigs or holding blocks and limit the solder you apply.


The etched frames is designed to sit flush against the cast frames how ever the journal boxes need to be drilled from the back to accept the bearing. The drill depth can be limited by filing down the back of the top hat bearing. I took about 0.5mm to 0.75mm off them before the pin point appeared.

I marked out the side frames and glued all the parts in place using the marked center lines on the etch to ensure the bearings are square to each other. I small vacuum cylinder  and some rigging detail. At this time the details were a guess at best but the general feel was achieved.



I added door guards on both sides. My understanding is the curved spring steel mounted on the under side of the wagon prevented the open door from swinging into the brake gear.

Next post will be the end beams, buffers, vacuum hoses and wheels which I hope to re gauge to 14mm.





No comments:

Post a Comment